close menu
This website uses cookies to store your accessibility preferences. No personal / identifying information is stored. More info.
Free Property Alert Service: - Get notified via email whenever a document with your name is recorded in the County Clerk's O... read more

Construction Department

The Construction Department is responsible for enforcement
of the NJ Uniform Construction Code.

PHONE: (973) 293-3366
ext. 17
Fax: (973) 293-7467
OFFICE HOURS: Tuesday - Thursday: 8:30AM - 2:30PM

Technical Assistant to the Construction Official (Office Contact) - Deanna Sternefeld

As of April 1, 2024,
New Jersey DCA requires that ALL inspections must be requested in writing.
Email request or
Inspection Request Form

Construction Official - Bob Huber
The Construction Official can be seen in Sandyston Twp. Municipal offices
on Tuesdays from 5:30 – 7:00PM and in Montague by appointment only.

Building & Plumbing Subcode Official - Bob Huber
Available for inspections Tuesday 2:00PM - 4:00PM and Thursday 8:30AM-10:00AM

Electrical Subcode Official - Andrew Simonis  
Available for inspections Tuesday 11:00AM-3:00PM and Thursday 8:30AM-10:30AM

Fire Subcode Official - Matthew Kansky Available for inspections by appointment

Inspections: Please call-in advance for all inspections. Please have your permit number available. The inspectors do not automatically go out on inspections. In order to get a final approval, we must be contact to provide you that service. Inspections can be made by calling the office at (973) 293-3366, Tuesday through Thursday. 

Permit Pick-up: Permits are processed Tuesday through Thursday 8:30am-2:00pm.
We can accept check or cash (exact amount only) for payment. We CANNOT accept Debit or Credit cards at this time.

  • When do I need to obtain a building Permit? Click here.
  • What do I need to get a building Permit? Click here.
  • What do I need to do to restore electricity? Click here.
  • What are the regulations for a swimming pool? Click here.

Unpermitted work and open permits require inspection and closure and are subject to penalties of up to $2,000, if final inspections are not made. If you have done work at your home without obtaining a permit, or have an outstanding open permit, we ask that you call the Building Department and obtain a permit or schedule inspection(s).

Building Permits
The scope and value of the work will determine which subcode permits will be necessary and how much the permits will cost. We cannot give a cost estimate until all permit paperwork is filed and entered into our system. When permits are submitted to the office, we do our best to expedite the process. The Construction Official has 20 days to review permits if necessary. 

Whenever you are issued a permit, you will also be issued a Construction Permit Notice. This permit is to be displayed predominantly at the place of construction. Please also not that New Jersey State Law 13:45A-16.2 states that before final payment is made to any contractor all final inspections must be done. This is to protect the homeowner. 

General Warning
As of January 01, 2006, New Jersey Laws require that you use only contractors with valid NJ State Registration for all your construction and home improvement projects. 
You can verify registration for a specific contractor here or by calling NJ Division of Consumer Affairs (973-504-6200 or 800-242-5846)

Current Codes in NJ
Current codes are available at New Jersey Department of Community Affairs, Division of Codes and Standards.

Permit Requirements

Ordinary Maintenance - Exterior and interior painting. Installation, repair, or replacement of interior finishes of less than 25 percent of the wall area in a one or two-family dwelling. This shall include plastering and drywall installation. The replacement of any window or door, including garage doors, in the same opening without altering the dimensions or framing of the original opening. This shall include storm windows and storm doors. The repair, replacement, or installation of any interior or exterior trim, decoration, or moldings. The repair, replacement, or installation of any flooring material with new material. The repair or replacement of existing roof covering on detached one or two-family dwellings. The repair or replacement of existing siding on one or two-family dwellings.  The repair, replacement, or installation of screens. Replacement of hose bib valves. Repair of leaks involving the replacement of piping; replacement of faucets or working parts of faucets. Replacement of valves (including shower or combination bath/shower valves). Replacement of traps. Replacement of fixtures with a similar fixture provided that no change in the piping arrangement is made. Replacement of domestic clothes washers and domestic dishwashers. The replacement of any receptacle, switch, or lighting fixture. Repairs to any installed electrically operated equipment such as doorbells, communication systems. Installation of communications wiring.  Replacement of domestic dishwashers. The installation of a burglar alarm, security system, or doorbell. The installation of battery-powered smoke alarms; The installation of battery-powered or plug-in type carbon monoxide alarms. Ordinary heating, ventilation, and air conditioning maintenance shall include: Replacement of motors; Pumps and fans of the same capacity; Repair and replacement of ductwork; Repair of air conditioning equipment and systems; Repair or replacement of control devices for heating and air conditioning equipment; Replacement of domestic stoves and domestic ovens in dwelling units, provided no change in fuel type, pipe size, or location or electrical characteristics is required; The replacement of bathroom exhaust fans.

Emergency Work - For any emergency work to be done in an unsafe area, roof leak, heater repair, etc., applicant must file for a permit within 72 hours.

Minor Work - Is all projects except ordinary maintenance, permits required.

Regular Permits - Construction of new buildings, additions, decks, pools, fences, storage sheds, etc. - permit required.